Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Dreaded Chore.

LAUNDRY DAY. 

the enemy

Blah... it tastes bad coming out of my mouth. I feel nauseated even typing the words. 

With a short lead ahead washing dishes, laundry is the most pain in the butt, long, hated task I have to accomplish. 

I admit, there are moments when I would rather go by new socks, underwear and undershirts than do the laundry. And then I remember the budget and restrain myself. 

With enough undergarments to last us 5 weeks, possibly 6 weeks if you count the low moments where we re-wear items inside out (those are very low moments I might add), I am continually waiting until the last possible moment to do it. 

It starts with the sorting. And God love him... my husband makes up 3/4 of the laundry easily.

Then we move to toting the 4+ loads (with more left to do) down the stairs to the apartment building's basement.

Followed by getting rolls of quarters for the $3 wash and drys per load... stuffing clothes in small washers praying they all fit to reduce the mounting cost.

30 minutes later you go down to move the wet to the dryer. With a line waiting at times for your washer, you have to be on top of your game, otherwise you risk a stranger pulling out your underwear and putting it on top of the washer in order to start his/her own load. 

An hour of drying and then you tote the 4 loads back up for the folding. And you pray for several things - no eaten clothes (which our dryers have sometimes done), no missing socks, no spotted bleached towels (my number one frustration due to our few ruined wedding towels arrrrr). 

You fold it all and yet you're still not done. You have to put away the clothes. And some how, the clothes I have left in my drawers have expanded leaving no space for the newly cleaned items. 

And 5 weeks from now... I will be doing this again. When Ian and I are wearing our last pair of underwear, have no towels left, and no dish towels in the kitchen.

Its funny because people don't take me for a messy, chore-hater ... but let me just say looks can be deceiving. Those who know me well know my weakness. Even my own husband has nicknamed me the "human tornado" due to my talent of creating a mess wherever I go. No worries though, it was part of our vows - "In clean laundry and in dirty"

A gift from my mother

The joys of being a wife... and living in an apartment in the north where the average household task takes 3 times as long and is never convenient. Making me a chore-avoider.

5 comments:

  1. I have never felt more close to you. By the way, who does your web design....A-mazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I thought this type of laundry phenomenon only existed in the residence halls of UGA. Which is why my laundry is still in my room... :)

    by the way, nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be easier to go to a laundromat and wash and dry it all at once all the while writing your blog, reading a book or talking on the phone to me. (lol). When all 4 kids went to camp the same week...I would go to the laundromat and get it all done in a few hours what would have taken me days to do at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We would be happy to do your laundry while your here with us! We enjoy reading your blog and keeping up with you! Love, Sara and Steve

    ReplyDelete